Friday, January 25, 2008

Spring Rolls

I would never in a million years have thought I would ever try to make spring rolls. In fact, if this was 5 years ago, I would never have even thought I would EAT spring rolls.

This was actually pretty easy.. I'm happy & will make them lots.


1 package of round rice paper wrappers
1 red pepper
1 yellow or green pepper
1 onion
4 or 5 green onions
1 package of bean sprouts
brown rice
dipping sauce of your choice - I used sesame ginger


Get your rice cooking. My mom gave me this rice cooker 2 years ago, but I had never used it until about 2 weeks before I made this. I LOVE it.

Photobucket

Slice all of your veggies into thin strips (no picture because I was too busy chopping).


Stir-fry all your veggies.

Photobucket

Take 2 rice papers (1 is too flimsy) and place them together into any kind of pan with warm water. Soak for 30 seconds until they become soft.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Take both rice papers out of the pan carefully - don't tear them!
Place them on a kitchen towel. I used paper towel and it stuck, so I spent 10 minutes pulling bits of paper off of the rice paper wrappers. I don't recommend it. Pat the top try with another towel. Place filling in the middle - make sure to leave some space on the top and bottom.

Photobucket


Roll it up, making sure to fold the top and bottom in as you're rolling.

Photobucket

Serve with rice and a dipping sauce of your choice.

Photobucket

And last but not least, sit back and eat your home-made spring rolls while you delight in the fact that you made something that is both totally healthy and totally delicious.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Wouldn't wax paper or parchment work better than a towel for the rice papers? Just a thought - I've never done them myself. Sounds good though :-) Oh, and plum sauce is my fave for the spring rolls maybe even stir in a dash of cayenne! MMmmMMmm good!